Preparing Your Home for Real Estate Photographs
- De-clutter as much as possible, especially excessively furnished rooms – store excess in garage
- Remove any seasonal decorations - Photos will look dated if you're selling in the summer, but there's a pumpkin in the shot.
- Replace all light bulbs with matching bulbs (warm preferred)
- Remove all personal items e.g. photos
- Tidy / Hide all power leads / cables
- Move garbage cans out of sight.
- Remove piles of mail, newspaper and magazines.
- Clean all windows inside and out.
Living Areas / Recreational Rooms
- Turn off TV and put remotes away
- Remove all toys, fans, game consoles
- Remove Exercise bikes / equipment
- Arrange DVDs, games, books neatly in shelves
- Turn off and clean ceiling fan
Kitchen / Dining Areas
- Clean and put away all dishes / cutlery
- Remove all small appliances
- Clean all splash backs, range hoods and large appliances especially if stainless steel
- Remove all detergents, dish clothes, dish rack, tea towels, drain plugs.
- Ensure range hood lights are working
- Remove all objects from fridge e.g. magnets, photos
- Remove bins and pet bowls
- Minimize bench top clutter e.g. salt and pepper, coffee, cereal boxes
- Set the dining room table to make it look more inviting
- Make all beds. Solid color bed clothes photograph better than patterns.
- De-clutter toys, books, games, tissue boxes.
- Remove all personal items.
- Ensure bedside lamps are working.
- Remove posters / stickers from walls.
- Clear away all clothes
Bathrooms / Powder Rooms
- Remove all soaps / shampoo / face washers / bath mats / toys / scales / bins
- Remove all tooth brushes / tooth paste / razors / hair dryers.
- Make sure glass and mirrors are spotless
- Remove all non-matching towels.
- Remove toilet cleaning utensils.
- Ensure toilet roll is not empty
- Close all toilet lids
- Mow and rake the lawn and trim edges
- Rake / sweep up leaves, sticks, papers
- Remove all gardening equipment e.g. hoses, rakes, wheel barrows
- Sweep or preferably pressure clean driveway and paved areas
- Tidy garden e.g. weeds
- Remove all cars / boats / bikes / trailers
- Remove all toys
- Ensure pool is clean
- Remove all pool cleaners and poles
- Remove all pool toys
- Open all outdoor umbrellas
60 Minutes before Photo shoot Checklist
- Set the table (optional)
- Place wine glasses and wine on outside table (optional)
- Open all blinds
- Turn on all lights
- Turn off ceiling fans
- Turn off TV
- Put pets away
- Put children away
- Ensure vehicles can’t be seen (street in front of house should be clear of cars)